Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Giving roots.

Aiden had his appt with the counselor today. It was interesting and he was way more into the toys she had in her office than actually speaking with her. He had about 25 minutes alone in the room with her so hopefully he opened up then. I just hope we can get the help he/us need to get him back to the fun, happy kid he was last year. Wes and I go back next Tuesday to decide where to go from here. Calleigh and Riley ended up staying with my sister in law, Dawn while I went with Aiden. I was pretty nervous. Riley is definitely a Mama's boy so I was not sure how he was going to do with Dawn. The last time I left him with her, which was quite a while ago, he cried for an hour. This time it was smooth sailing and he played the entire 2.5 hours with his sister and another little girl that was there. I am happy to know he will be okay when Mommy leaves his side.
However, I am a little sad to know he will be okay when I leave his side. As a Mom I know that it is my job to give them roots and then let them branch out on there own. I just wish I could be behind them with pillows in case they fall and a stool if they need a step up. I know though that I just need to be there with the band-aids and shoulder when they do fall and the praise and listening ear when they do step up. I know there are going to be times when I have to trust they will make the right decision with the information I have given them, and that I can't make those decisions for them. I knwo that they need to live their life just like I lived mine. The good and the bad, no matter how much I want to shelter them in Mother's reach forever.

1 comment:

  1. It's definitely a mixed blessing when they get to that point. You want them to be ok in the world, but it still hurts a little to realize they don't need you as much as they used to. I'm sure it only gets worse with time.

    ReplyDelete